Monday, October 1, 2012

I believe doing everything should depend on yourself.


I still vividly remember the movie I saw a long time ago called “Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm,” acted by child star Shirley Temple.

Shirley plays the role of 8-year-old Rebecca. Rebecca often says, “I always count on myself.” By mistake, Rebecca’s step-father sends her to her aunt’s farm, where she has to learn how to adapt to a new life. She becomes brave and confident in everything she does.

I saw this movie when I was 6 and didn’t know the exact meaning of self-dependence then, but I wanted to be a girl just like Rebecca who can do everything by herself.

From a young age, I learned that falling was not a big deal, and we must learn how to stand up and count on ourselves. I believe this is the simplest and most distinct way to explain my belief of self-dependence.

It has been more than a year since I’ve been in America. As an international student, far away from parents and home, many times I find myself in need of help. However, I am not afraid of dealing with difficulties. I set up all the furniture in my new apartment myself. I even bought a jumper cable to charge my car’s battery when it dies. Usually girls depend on men to do a lot of errands, but I believe trying to do it yourself is more rewarding. You will be amazed at how much potential you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment